How to make pickled beetroot
- 4 beetroot large
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Wash beetroot thoroughly and cook in water until tender (no need to peel)
- Cool and remove skin. Use gloves if you don’t want to stain your hands
- Cut beetroot into slices or rounds
- Place all other ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil
- Simmer for 5 minutes and then strain.
- Pack beetroot into hot sterilised jars and top up with vinegar mixture.
- Seal and store in a cool place.
It will keep for several months in the fridge